Thursday, January 12, 2012

No more Poo?!



                                                                          

                                                     

Ok, so I recently heard of this quickly spreading "No Poo" Challenge. I was so intrigued by the title that I had to follow up on this. (I think I secretly hoped it was some new wave fad that meant no more fiber)
So many people are trying this and from what Ive read, heard and seen....The results are well worth it.

Let me ask you something ladies...What is the first thing people notice when you walk into a room.
(Personally Im kind of a freak, So I tend to make friends with their shoes first) lol

However, You may have great legs, and Nice eyes, Fabulous curves or a killer smile, But Guaranteed if your hair has enough grease to fry my Thanksgiving Turkey,...Chances are No body's gonna take a second look.

Me, I have incredibly, fine, pin-point straight as a needle, long, blonde hair.

And I couldn't make this hair hold a style, a curl, a braid if my life depended on it. In fact when it gets to be below my scapula, (that's my shoulder bone for all you wondering.) I tend to hate it.Seriously....!!! Hate is an understatement. If there was a word that mimicked me screaming and yanking at these torturous locks, that would be the word i use.

Thats usually when I make a huge mistake and wack of more then should be allowed...Remember the Kate haircut. MmmHmmm. I did that. I also failed it, But I did it.

Bottom line. It gets long, stringy, dull, flat, and tends the get greasy alot quicker. My average every other day washes become twice a day .....

Ive bought expensive heat curls, Spent ridiculous sums of money of expensive shampoos, even more of conditioner. I bought plasma tubes, fancy brushes, leave in creams, gels, 3 kinds of mousse, hairspray, plat irons, teasers, etc...

But at the end of the day, its just boring.
Im not exaggerating friends, Seriously, I went into get a perm 3 years ago. I wanted some beautiful small curls...Bad Idea. I loved my curls, (Hated the smell) But loved my hair. Went home, Danced around in the mirror like an Herbal Essence commercial, And went to bed. Woke up in the morning.

GADZOOKS!

When i woke up 7 hours later my hair from the part to my ears was curly, Just barely...And from my ears to my mid back was straight. Not even a kink. She said my hair was so fine and virgin that she needed to do it again. So, I got 2 perms within 12 hours of each other... The frizzy untameable mess on top of my head is what 3 months later led to the Kate Gosselin cut. And lots of Afro creams.


Sorry lost track.....



Not too mention, Shampoo has proven Cancer causing, and Nerve Damaging chemicals in every wash. Have you ever noticed that film that tends to grow in the bottom of one of those counter top dish drainers.....That's the residue left over from your dishes...AFTER you've already rinsed the soap off... So imagine how much is in your hair, inside your body. They say you are what you eat, well they also say If you wouldn't eat it, you shouldn't put it ON your body.

(I guess this means, no Caviar baths for me.ha ha)

What the No Poo challenge is, Is taking Shampoo and conditioner out of your shower.

Instead Wash your hair with baking soda. (1tbsp per cup of water) Make a paste out of a slowly massage into your crown, then your part, then the length of your hair and last the side burns and bangs.
The massage promotes hair growth. The baking soda cleans your hair and strips away all the chemicals and build up, leaving your hair fresh and clean. For the conditioner, Use 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar to a cup of water and dip your tips/ends into this solution. You can also use Honey and water mixture for the conditioning. Or try some jojoba oil on your tips.


                                            

Remember there is a transition period. Although it is different for everyone, don't let this discourage you. Its about a week, to a month.


• If your hair becomes frizzy, try using less baking soda or leaving it on for a shorter period of time. Try the honey trick.

• If your hair becomes greasy, try using less apple cider vinegar, switching to lemon or lime juice, leaving out the honey, and/or using a comb instead of a brush. Also, make sure you’re applying the apple cider vinegar just to the ends of your hair.

• If your scalp itches, try the following essential oils; tea tree, lavender, rosemary. If your hair becomes dry, try a tiny bit of oil (any oil, I use olive) smoothed on bottom of hair.

The best thing about this, is its all natural, puts life back into your hair, keeps your natural color vibrant and shiny, and its cheaper than chemically altered soaps.


                                                  Even Baby Shampoo is horrible.
Laboratory tests on Johnson’s baby shampoo revealed that it contained 210 parts per million of formaldehyde. About two dozen other products, out of 48 tested, had similar or higher levels.
Example Johnson and Johnson Baby Shampoo (as listed on cosmeticsdatabase.com):
Ingredients in this product are linked to:
  • Cancer
  • Developmental/reproductive toxicity
  • Violations, restrictions & warnings
  • Allergies/immunotoxicity
  • Other concerns for ingredients used in this product:
    Neurotoxicity, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Miscellaneous, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Enhanced skin absorption, Contamination concerns, Occupational hazards
Ingredients from packaging: WATER, PEG-80 SORBITAN LAURATE, COCAMIDOPROPYL BETAINE, SODIUM TRIDECETH SULFATE, GLYCERIN, LAUROAMPHOGLYCINATE, PEG-150 DISTEARATE, SODIUM LAURETH-13 CARBOXYLATE, FRAGRANCE, POLYQUATERNIUM-10, TETRASODIUM EDTA, QUATERNIUM-15, CITRIC ACID, D&C YELLOW 10, D&C ORANGE 4.
Directions from packaging: Wet hair, apply shampoo, lather, and rinse,Repeat.
Warnings from packaging: Keep out of reach of young children.






Ill be posting throughout my challenge, so keep following me to see the results of my No Poo.




*****************************************************************************
Day 1

Okay, When I set out to do this little experiment I decided not to wash my hair for 3 days, Usually I wash it every 2 days, but this time I let it go an extra day. When I got in the bath today My hair was not horrible, Ive seen worse. But I definitely wouldn't go out in public. It couldn't even be redeemed with the ever popular messy bun.

I took en empty mason jar and started with 1 tbsp of soda, and about 2 cups of water. It dissolved very quickly and looked like nothing was added to it. So I put another tbsp. Still clear. I added one more, which turned my water a cloudy white. I decided that I was convinced there was baking soda in it and poured this rinse over my hair. I began massaging in soothing little circles, first on top then underneath, the sides, and then the length. I took a little pinch of dry soda and rubbed it with both hands into the long part of my hair from my ears down. then  rinsed very well. I could immediately tell that after all that massaging how clean my hair felt. I'm not kidding,

Id be skeptical too if I was you, I mean who actual does these home gimmicks, right. Just Hippies and crazy people You know...... Wrong. Mothers who have been educated and informed, People who take the time to find better ways to live there life, and take care of their families, That's who.
Me.... I did it.

Anyways, I rang my hair out the best I could then took 1 tbsp honey mixed in a cup with 1 tbsp lemon juice and 1 cup hot water and set the length of my hair down in it.
Then after I took my hair out of the cup(about 30 seconds - 60 seconds later) I poured the rest of it over the remainder of hair. Then Rinsed. The sweet taste trickled down my forehead and onto my lips And I was pleasantly surprised and extremely proud at that moment that what I just washed my hair with was safe enough to eat.

When I got out I wrapped my hair in a towel for 5 minutes then brushed it. It was easy to brush, Not as easy as if I had drenched it in conditioner, But easy enough. It was clean, I'm talked squeaky clean. It felt lighter and softer. Once It dried I was amazed, It has body!!!! And it doesn't smell bad. It smells like hair, with a suttle hint of honey.

Like seriously, it bounced. It shiny and silky and I'm fricken impressed.


I watched alot of you tube and read alot of reviews and It was 50/50. Some people seen instant results, and some took a couple weeks to get there, I think it depends on hair dying, perms, damages etc.


The Gods Honest truth, My hair feels like I just got a hair cut and a salon wash job. And I used No Poo. Ill continue to update. Ill probably wash again in 2-3 days.



SUPER SHINY AND SOFT...DAY 1



No comments:

Post a Comment