Sunday, January 1, 2012

Home Remedies for 1st and 2nd degree burns.

Most of you, that have children know how stressful it can be. Bubble wrap should become the new diaper cake at Baby showers ok,...Im just saying. Table corners inevitably end up banging the heck out of a forehead when baby starts walking. Freshly washed sliding glass doors pose a thick hazard. Electrical plugs and sharp objects are a constant worry. The older your child gets, the easier you can breath. Because even if they dont out grow there constant clumsiness,...They tend to handle the outcomes a little better. Lol.

I, fortunately...(He he he) Have those children that tend to not grow out of it. They are like mama. If they can stub their toe on it, trip on it, fall over it, walk into it, spill it, break it, lose it....They will. Most meals pose hazards, as did tonight's supper.

Allow me to paint the picture. Noisy Kids, Parents reminiscing over there day, Everyones hungry. Fresh hot pizza is on its way to the table, And Just as it makes its destination....It slips. My oldest daughter burns her arm. The scalding hot cheese left its mark....

She screamed. Bloody murder. Now I know I would have done exactly that. But when she screamed, her little sister, confused and freaking out cuz her sister was screaming, proceeding to chime in with something even more high pitched....and long. ( Im pretty sure neither one of them stopped to breathe)

I love my children. Always expect the unexpected... And I enjoy every moment of it...After the cheese catastrophe of course.


SO WHAT DID YOU DO???? you might ask. Well, I just happened to be wearing my mommy cape under my work clothes, so I burst into action.

1. I assessed, very quickly, the situation. (wheres the burning area?)
2. I removed her shirt asap~! ( you want to remove any clothing touching the burn immediately so the clothes dont stick to scalded skin.
3. I quickly removed the hot cheese and rushed her to the kitchen sink.

*THE FIRST FEW MINUTES ARE CRUCIAL IN WHETHER OR NOT YOUR 1ST DEGREE BURN TURNS INTO A 3RD DEGREE BURN.

4. I turned on the cold water and ran the cold water over the burned area. Did I mention it was cold water. Not Ice Packs!!! Ice causes tissue damage.
5.Then after 10 mis of cold water time, I turned to my home remedies....

FOR A 1ST OR 2ND DEGREE BURN YOU CAN PUT THE FOLLOWING THINGS ON CLEAN DRY BURNS.
~RAW EGG WHITES (THEY SOOTHE AND HELP HEAL IMMEDIATELY)
~ALOE VERA(STOPS THE BURNING AND HEALS)
~WITCH HAZEL (HELPS HEAL, SOOTHE AND KEEP OUT INFECTION)
~ONION (STOPS THE STING/BURNING)
~VITAMIN E OIL (ANTI-BACTERIAL PROPERTIES, DIMINISHES ANY SCARRING)
~MILK(HELPS WITH THE HEALING AND PAIN AND PREVENTS MAJOR BLISTERING)
~TEA TREE OIL

6.I wrapped her arm in a cold wet cloth and went to go find some stuff. 
7.Luckily I had some witch hazel pads that i soaked in milk and laid across her arm for twenty minutes.
8.Then I rewashed(GENTLY) and air dried her arm.
9.Once it was dry I soaked it in an aloe Vera salve and wrapped it was breathable gauze.

When she first was burned, her arm was beet red from shoulder to wrist. Almost 20 minutes later the burn was very evident on her bicep, elbow, and forearm. I was worried, devastated, and very scared that it would reach 3rd degree. After the milk and witch hazel soak, The burn had diminished back to the elbow area, still very red. After I rewashed it, and wrapped it in aloe vera and gauze, I let her sit and watch tv for a couple hours til bed.

She was still complaining of it stinging a little and her bandage w/the aloe had soaked thru...So I changed it before bed. When I unwrapped it I was very please to see that all the red was gone on her arm and that just the tip of her elbow had grown a dime size blister.
 Ill continue to clean it, keep it breathable and put aloe on it for the next few days..

Its nice to know that such simple things you find at home or that contain all natural ingredients can be useful in healing, soothing, and save you a trip to the doctors.

Anyways, So thats todays lesson kids...
Im exhausted, This whole New Year thing took it out of me. lol


Thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment